Friday 17 August 2012

7/8/12 The Blue Planet Aquarium


Today, my friend and I visited The Blue Planet Aquarium in Cheshire. As a lover of the sea and anything to do with marine wildlife I was in my element. The sharks were colossal and the walk through tunnel provided excellent opportunities to examine these magnificent beasts (safely) in close up detail!

We saw Manta rays, Sand sharks, Nurse sharks, Sea horses, Caiman, semi-aquatic snakes and lots of brightly coloured tropical fish. It was mesmerising until.... we came into the "venom" section. A hideous section dedicated to arachnids! Yuk, shudder, shudder!

There was a "Tarantula tower" (a horrible circular glass tube which you could put your head up the middle of, allowing you to come face to face with the creepy eight legged creatures.) I hasten to add that I went nowhere near it! There was also a Goliath bird eating spider (I'm not saying Goliath because it was big; that really is the name of it!) It certainly suited its name though. Curiously, the deadly black widow spider was a tiny thing (though clearly not to be messed with!)

We exited the spider section rather quickly and went to look at some more nice sharks. There certainly was a vast array of creatures big and small and I liked the fact that a lot of the Blue Planet's profits goes on conservation work in the wild. I know if Bubbles set her eyes on any of the pretty fish, conservation would be furthest from her mind; she would be salivating at the prospect of dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment